Saturday 21 November 2009

Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City ( Skrtel 50', Adebayor 69', Ireland 76', Benayoun 77') *Video*

I feel bitterly disappointed, we played well today and in my opinion deserved to win. I am sure we will gain confidence from this performance but not as much as we would have if we won.

Our first goal was scored by Adebayor, he was left unmarked on a corner and did well to get behind the ball and head home. Our second goal was scored by Ireland, he finished off a good move. Goals Below!

We really deserved a victory today, but it wasn't to be. In the first half we played alright although we did give the ball away to much. In the second half we were great, we took control and attacked Liverpool with determination.

Hughes even managed to be tactically aware today, bringing Tevez on for Barry was absolutely the right decision, Tevez changed the game with his movement up top.

I think the main negative for me today was Adebayor's performance, yes he scored but did nothing else. He was lazy and didn't cause any problems for Liverpool's defence I hope a goal can now bring back his early season form.

I also have to single someone out for praise, Nigel de Jong was brilliant today and was the main reason for our good display. He was all over the place and controlled the midfield, Steven Gerrard was not allowed to come into the game and totally went missing in the second half, that was down to de Jong. I would like to see Hughes build our midfield around de Jong, he should focus on maximising de Jong's ability, he is top class.

All in all we should have won today, we should take some confidence from the game and go on to batter Hull next week.

Goals.

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree about De Jong, him and Ireland worked too hard and moved too much for the Liverpool midfield. Gutted we didn't win it, Robinho's back against Hull THAT will be the difference......COME ON!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. De Jong was MOTM even though his influence was not needed as much in the second half as we had so much of the ball. I can see what you are saying about Adebayor but he was really isolated in the first half..which was compounded by the seemingly constatnt long balls played up to him and four defenders..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - agree with everything there Gary. I like your line - "Hughes even managed to be tactically aware today"...made me laugh. Hows the new job treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's goin ok thanks pal, bit of a pain getting my body clock right but I am sure that will be sorted soon, thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete